When planning a trip to go to another town, thinking about the fun things to do is always a exciting pastime. Here at Inn at Cedar Falls, we are so close to other great towns and cities that the possibilities can be endless. One fun city to explore is Athens Ohio. It has a great mix of natural beauty and modern entertainment that you could spend a lot of time there. We love recommending fun things to do in Athens Ohio to our guests and we have complied an extensive list of things to do in Athens Ohio with something for everyone, including little ones. Here are our top 9 awesome things to do in Athens Ohio.
1. Athens County Tours: The best way to get to know a place is to take a tour. Athens County has so many beautiful aspects to it and many choices for self guided or group tours. The first educational and beautiful tour is a Route 33 Tour. This is a free audio download to be used while driving on Route 33. You will learn so much from historians and residents. Another popular tour in Athens County is Covered Bridge Tours. This is a self guided tour and one of the most popular things to do in Athens Ohio.
2. Arts: All around Athens Ohio you can find all sorts of arts exhibits and events. Some of the best places to experience local art in Athens is at the Dairy Barn Arts Center. They have activities and events all year and are known for exhibiting some of the best local and regional artists. One of the most loved arts events in Athens is Final Fridays. Except for December, every final Friday of every month Nelsonville’s Historic Public Square stays open late for exhibits, street performers, workshops, and plays.
3. Geocaching: One craze that has swept through the country, especially in those who love to spend their time outside. Never heard of geocaching? It is basically a treasure hunt where people enjoy finding the items as well as adding to them. One great thing about geocaching in Ohio is that they have handicap accessible trails, which is a rare thing in most of the country.
4. Hocking Valley Scenic Railway: This is another one of the best things to do in Athens Ohio. Nothing like sitting back and enjoying the countryside of Ohio from a warm and fully restored train car. In the winter, they have a wonderful Santa train where you children will get to meet the jolly old elf.
5. Bikeways: In Athens Ohio, there are many ways to enjoy the Hockhocking Adena Bikeway. You can bike or walk and with its easy and gentle slope, any part of the 21 miles is breathtaking and exhilarating. You can rent a bike if you need to as well. Be sure to check out the key sites that shouldn’t be missed.
6. State Parks: If you enjoy being outside and want to be more into nature, be sure to check out one of the many state parks. When the weather is nice, this is one of the most popular things to do in Athens Ohio. There are many things to see at all of these state parks like local trees, wildflowers and many wild animals. In these state parks there are miles and miles of trails and hours of entertainment.
7. Hunting: There is nothing like catching your own meal. Here in Athens Ohio, there are many people who enjoy spending part of their day in the forest enjoying being outdoors and finding their next meal. Be sure to check out all of the rules and regulations for hunting before you take to the forests.
8. Sports: Ohio is known for some amazing sports teams. One of the best things to do in Athens Ohio is to catch a game. There are many options for seeing a game. One of the most popular teams in Athens is Ohio University. In any season they have some exciting games. Be sure to check out their schedule.
9. Family Activities: It’s always fun to bring the kids along on a trip and show them some great parts of Athens Ohio. The Athens Book Center is a fantastic place to bring kids. Have them pick out a new book to read while you enjoy a cup of delicious coffee. To help them burn off some energy, consider taking them to Hocking Hills Adventure Trek. They have guided hikes, Shawnee storytelling, rappelling, and more.
Coming to Ohio can be such an adventure for anyone in your family. To learn about more fun things to do in Ohio download our free Hocking Hills Vacation Guide. One place couples and families love staying when they come to Ohio is with us at Inn at Cedar Falls. We have many lodging options for any size group that all come with beautiful scenic views of Hocking Hills. Before you book with us, be sure to check out our specials as well as our spa add ons. Contact our amazing staff today to book a great trip to see us and find some fun things to do in Athens Ohio.
Photo by: Wesley Eller